Start planning for History Week 2013 - Sunday 20 October to Sunday 27 October!
Contact us with your event details. And don't forget to check back in to see other history events on during the year at www.historyvictoria.org.au
Want to find out more about Victoria's fascinating past?
Visit www.historyvictoria.org.au. The Royal Historical Society of
Victoria is home to the most extensive single information
resource on the history of Melbourne and Victoria.
Start planning for History Week 2013 – 20th to 27th October!
History Week 2012 was yet again a fantastic success and we hope that you were able to join the many Victorians who travelled back in time, discovering Victoria's wide and wonderful past.
From fascinating walking tours and engaging discussions, to exhibitions and "history in the making" events - there really was something in store for everyone to enjoy.
Have a look around the History Week 2012 website and read about some of the fascinating events held during the Week.
This History Week Victorians could:
- take the family on a trip back in time touring Melbourne's many historical delights - from the Burke and Wills monument to the Fairies' Tree;
- pay homage to St Kilda’s famous smiling face at a visit to the exhibition “Dreamland to Dodgem Cars: 100 Years of Luna Park”;
- find out how history, law, medicine and science helped piece together the remains of Ned Kelly;
- celebrate 100 years of the enchanting State Library Dome - a magical place that has inspired writers and artists since it first opened in 1912;
- come, if you dare, to a spooky and spine tingling Trick or Treat Fair in the haunted halls of Barwon Park Mansion;
- put on your student explorer hats and follow the clues to discover Fed Square’s Top Ten historical artefacts and celebrate its 10th birthday;
- learn all about the fascinating art of early visual technology at the Magic Lantern Society's Australian Convention;
- explore one of Melbourne's grand designs, learning about the construction and social history of our Old Treasury building;
- experience the lavish interiors and enjoy afternoon tea and a glass of sparkling wine in one of Victoria’s most significant nineteenth century mansions;
- take a trip through the back lanes of Marvellous Melbourne and trace the passage of the most popular novel of the 19th Century;
- share your childhood memories and hear how children view history;
- hear some of the 3,000+ stories behind the headstones at the Cranbourne Cemetery, exploring the accomplishments and tragedies of the district’s early settlers;
- roll out the picnic rug and enjoy an afternoon of historic motor vehicles, local arts and crafts at Maffra's Annual Federation Picnic;
- walk down the aisle and admire a century of wedding dresses and memorabilia from 1880 to 1980;
- take a rare tour of our heritage listed Supreme Court building, hearing stories from the archives and discovering judicial robes and wigs;
- visit the unique Bear’s Castle and discover why the building has kept historians mystified for years;
- lose yourself in history with a leisurely browse through the entries for the Victorian Community History Awards.
Make sure you check out the History Week events calendar. It lists details on all the exciting events being held around Melbourne and Victoria during the week.